With so much fear and stress across the world due to the coronavirus, many are trying to capitalize on the situation for their own gain. There have already been cases of people buying up all the hand sanitizer or toilet paper in an effort to resell them at a large profit due to all the shortages.
Many people across the world are wondering if the worst is yet to come, and with economies collapsing, schools closing and many businesses failing, nobody really knows how long it will be until life resumes to normal.
Some have even asked if CBD can help with the coronavirus at all… let’s explore.
What is Coronavirus?
Coronavirus is a type of virus and there are many different kinds of coronaviruses. A newly identified type of coronavirus has led to the current worldwide pandemic from an outbreak of a specific respiratory illness called COVID-19 that started in China in December 2019.
Symptoms of COVID-19 include coughing, fever and shortness of breath. COVID-19 can be severe, and some cases have caused death. This new coronavirus can be spread from person to person and it can be diagnosed with a laboratory test.
Where We Are Now (March 2020)
COVID-19 was first identified in Wuhan, Hubei, China, in December 2019. As of March 18, 2020, more than 200,000 cases have been reported in at least 170 countries and more than 8,200 people have died from COVID-19. The outbreak was officially recognized as a pandemic by the World Health Organization (WHO) on March 11. On March 13, the WHO announced that Europe has become the new epicenter of the pandemic.
First of all, there is no cure, treatment, or vaccine for the COVID-19 disease as of this writing. Many people are speculating on how the virus spreads, how severe it is, and what measures can be taken to curb its effects. Let’s clarify some of the myths running around and provide facts from the World Health Organization:
- COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in areas with hot and humid climates, contrary to what some have suggested.
- Cold weather and snow CANNOT kill the new coronavirus.
- Taking a hot bath does not prevent the new coronavirus disease.
- The new coronavirus CANNOT be transmitted through mosquito bites.
- Hand dryers are not effective in killing the virus.
- UV lamps should not be used to sterilize hands or other areas of skin as UV radiation can cause skin irritation.
- Spraying alcohol or chlorine all over your body will not kill viruses that have already entered your body.
- Vaccines against pneumonia, such as pneumococcal vaccine and Haemophilus Influenza type B (Hib) vaccine, do not provide protection against the new coronavirus.
- There is no evidence that regularly rinsing your nose with saline has protected people from infection with the new coronavirus.
- There is no evidence from the current outbreak that eating garlic has protected people from the new coronavirus.
- People of all ages can be infected by the new coronavirus.
- Antibiotics do not work against viruses, only bacteria.
- To date, there is no specific medicine recommended to prevent or treat the new coronavirus.
So What Should We Do?
The WHO has issued guideline for basic protective measures against the new coronavirus and to avoid exposure, including:
- Wash your hands often
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Avoid close contact with others
- Distance yourself from others in public areas (“Social Distancing”)
- Stay home if possible (self isolation)
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces
- Get plenty of rest
- Drink plenty of water
- Manage anxiety and stress
Can CBD Help Against Coronavirus?
Other than greedy folks hoarding all the toilet paper and hand soap, many people are making some wild claims about what you should or shouldn’t do in order to prevent, or even cure COVID-19. Unfortunately, the CBD industry is not immune to shady characters who will try to take advantage of all the fear and stress that COVID-19 has caused around the globe.
We’ve already seen new CBD hand sanitizers popping up on the market, and some have even suggested that CBD can be an effective treatment for coronavirus. Sadly, these unscrupulous actors are taking advantage of the pandemic in an effort to profit off a vulnerable population that is already on edge.
While CBD has many benefits, there is not enough evidence that CBD can be an effective treatment to viral infections. CBD can help with many ailments and conditions, and has even been shown to be a natural antimicrobial, but it is not a magic pill or a cure-all.
While CBD may help symptoms associated with our immune systems responses to infections and viruses, there is not enough evidence to show its true antiviral properties. One study has even shown that cannabinoids may even worsen viral disease outcomes in some.
So How Can CBD Oil Help?
While we’ve said that there is not enough evidence to show that CBD has any effects on coronavirus COVID-19, what we do know is that CBD can be extremely effective for anxiety and stress that many people are suffering from due to the current pandemic.
Studies have shown that CBD can reduce anxiety, lower the frequency of panic attacks, decrease conditioned fear responses, and can also act as a stress reliever. This is likely due to how CBD reduces activity in the amygdala and at overactive TRPV1 receptors, both of which have been linked to increased anxiety levels.
Maintaining a strong immune system is also paramount in order to prevent and fight infectious diseases. Along with maintaining a healthy diet and drinking plenty of water, taking CBD Oil can also boost immune system response.
Regular exercise and getting plenty of sleep is also an important aspect of keeping a strong immune system. Insomnia and sleep disruption can weaken our bodies and make them more susceptible to infections. CBD has been showing promising results in aiding healthy sleep patterns.
We at Tessera Naturals are continuing to monitor the current situation and will provide any pertinent updates that are important to our customers. While our supply chain may be disrupted in the near future, we will do our best to remain fully functional and committed to our mission of promoting health and wellness, and make sure we can provide the highest quality products to those in need.
As always, we provide free shipping on all orders, which will help greatly those who are experiencing lock-down in some areas or practicing voluntary self isolation.
We pray everyone will stay safe during this time and please do your part and follow recommendations to slow the spread of coronavirus!